GMOing has been going on for millenia …….’Birds Do It, Bees Do It …Even Educated..’.
But there’s GMO…& then there’s GMO… We got ortaniques by GMOing (grafting – some loss of genetic material – seeds don’t grow) we also get all our imported soy from Monsanto’s dark arts (gene splicing, major loss of genetic material & nutrients & disease causing) such that ‘Monstertanto’ makes us ill with it… there’s a difference. In the era of Monstertanto whose GMOed and chemically treated seed make up 90% of the world’s seed trade, Dominica is officially organic and Bayern is officially non-GMO… Mexico, France & Hawaii have followed suit and India is battling to keep Monstertanto out of its rice paddies. So what can we do to save ourselves? Politics aside, follow Mr. Tufton’s lead … and let’s all go to Farmers’ Markets – still common all over Europe and something of a persistent ‘rebel movement’ in North America … land of the supermarket. In the last 100 years soil nutrients have been depleted by over 50% and food nutrient values decreased at even higher percentages.
What’s the good of a farmer’s market? Well, in Jamaica, not all problems are solved by them, but here’re some really good reasons to patronise them:
1) Great prices & the middle man is cut out so all money to farmer
2) you can get more full nutrient, non-GMOed food
3) you eat local and help cut the import bill
4) you cut the carbon footprint
5) you cut packaging pollution
6) you have greater control over what you eat (talking to farmer can tell you how he farms and whether you want to buy his fare based on his practices)
Here’s what you should look for:
1) Indigenous and wild crops – they’re non-GMO, less pesticides – (some farmers spray their yams, etc) no growth retardants (all American potatoes sprayed with it from mass producers unless organic)
2) Leafy vegetables with holes in them (no or less pesticides which even insects don’t eat)
3) Buy Michael Fox’s & anybody else’s organic greens & foods (if there). In Jamaica though, not all organic is organic, the farmer just thinks so…
6) Find someone whose eggs are very little, the yolk is huge and nearly blood red & tastes like butter (lot’s of excellent fat) – these are mostly organic eggs
7) Buy New Zealand whole milk dairy – All American dairy has bovine growth hormone unless stated otherwise or 100% organic, better yet, buy raw whole milk if anyone is selling it and boil it yourself. By the way, after age 5, all dairy you consume ought to be fermented.
8) Buy grape and ox heart tomatoes, most plummies are GMOed and pesticide sprayed
9) buy coconut oil that ‘sleeps’ – best for your brains, frying and your gut – very virgin burns easier though, don’t let it, all burnt oil carcinogenic.
10) Buy Heritage/heritage (a brand and also all non-GMO generic) seed and create/grow your own from heritage stock you grow
11) Find non-GMO big, smellie pawpaws and pines, full nutrient complement – all small pawpaws and the new Jamaica Producers pines GMOed
12) Don’t waste your money – Buy your alkaline water from the Roquefort Bath head spring, 300 dollars to go in and fill all the bottles you like – one glass per day
13) Buy fish 2lbs and under in weight – above that heightens mercury exposure
1) Developing countries, including us are often recipient users of banned ‘gift’ pesticides from the States.
2) All Jamaican corn and soy is GMOed and sprayed by Monstertanto, we are the largest per capita consumer of soy on earth leading to male impotence, gynoecomastia, premature puberty, thyroid problems, calcium uptake interference, immune breakdown, etc. etc. Fermented organic soy is good for you & eat organic soy beans only as often as you would eat any other bean.
3) Know that all commercial gourd fruits suck up pesticides, eat them as a calculated risk or find organic ones
4) GMO does not grow (the seeds are ‘mules’ & that’s the catch, Monstertanto enslaves the contracting farmers of other countries into repeatedly buying ‘demon seed’ and suicide is becoming well known among poor farmers in Asia. Safe GMO – like grafting & hybridisation – can be reverted by nature, unsafe gene-spliced GMO cannot, what’s lost or added is so forever)
5) Pesticides are designed NOT to wash off so wash and rinse all fruits and veggies in pure liquid castile soap and rinse well…water alone removes NOTHING
Join THE OCCUPY MONSANTO & THE FOOD REVOLUTION MOVEMENTS ON THE WEB- MONSTERTANTO, DOW ETC ARE DEATH TO THE ENTIRE WORLD BEE POPULATION WHICH IS BEING DECIMATED, NOT TO MENTION…US